ABOUT GEDCO: Govans Ecumenical Development Corporation was incorporated in 1991 by a coalition of faith leaders in the Govans neighborhoods of north Baltimore City. Over the past thirty years, GEDCO has developed hundreds of units of affordable housing for older adults, provided supportive housing to individuals exiting homelessness, and offered loving compassion to neighbors. Today, GEDCO is an independent, interfaith nonprofit organization driven by 500 community volunteers, 55 member organizations, 16 employees, a two million dollar annual operating budget, and a mission to provide affordable housing, supportive services, and emergency assistance to community residents to foster each person’s maximum human potential.
ABOUT GEDCO CARES: Opened in 1993 as a centralized location for Govans-area faith institutions to refer families. Today GEDCO CARES supports 5,200 requests annually from 2,000 neighbors to avoid evictions and utility cut-offs, pay for costly prescription medicines, stretch tight food budgets, and have access to healthy food through a client-choice pantry. CARES employment program supports neighbors in creating resumes, conducting job searches, practicing for interviews, and maintaining employment. Annually, 200 volunteers provide 2,000 hours to implement CARES’ mission to reduce nutritional and financial insecurity, primarily for residents of northern Baltimore City.
ABOUT THE DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY SERVICES (CARES) POSITION: The Director of Community Services provides day to day operational and strategic leadership of GEDCO’s community services (CARES), including the client-choice food pantry, emergency services, and employment programs. In December 2022, the Director will oversee CARES’ physical move to a new community hub of 4,000 square feet of space for the client-choice food pantry complete with new refrigeration and freezer space and a computer lab. The move will provide more flex space for one-on one appointments for eviction prevention, utility assistance, and employment assistance and serve as a one-stop entryway for GEDCO to connect with and support neighbors.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- Provide day to day and strategic leadership to GEDCO on all community services programs
- Collaboratively lead and supervise a team of one full-time CARES Assistant Director and more than 100 part-time community volunteers in implementing programs
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative external partnerships to meet mission and ensure effective program operations (ranging from area faith institutions and neighborhood associations to the Maryland Food Bank, Maryland Fuel Fund, and Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Employment Development)
- Oversee a program budget of $280,000 and ensure financial compliance and reporting for public grants and private donor impact
- Support fundraising of $200,000 annually for program operations
- Communicate program needs and program impacts to attract and enhance donor support
- Actively participate in the GEDCO management team
- Manage day to day operations of CARES:
- Recruiting, training, and supervising volunteers who assist with various CARES programs and services
- Overseeing grocery and farmer’s market coupon distributions following eligibility guidelines and ensuring services are recorded in database for compliance and accountability
- Supporting and processing requests for financial assistance and other crisis response
- Ensuring ordering food and office supplies
- Receiving donations and deliveries and ensuring that they are recorded
Employment Requirements: Minimum of five years’ experience in effective program management and supervision with work history demonstrating progressively increased responsibility and promotion within the social services, food pantry or employment services field. Prefer candidate with a minimum of an undergraduate degree in a related field.
Compensation: This is a full-time position of 40 hours per week, with paid vacation and full fringe benefits and a salary range of $45,000 to $50,000. GEDCO is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Please send a personalized cover letter with a resume via email to Ted Gross, Chief Program Officer at tgross@GEDCO.org. We will contact each applicant either during or after the hiring process is completed. No calls, please.